The Ladson Research Library features an extensive collection of primary source documents and photographs related to the history of the Sandy Spring community. This non-lending library is open to the public and admission is free for museum members and $5 for non-members. A sample of what you will find in the collection can be viewed on the American Heritage Society’s website
Reference Services at Library/Archives
Professional and avocational researchers will find a treasure trove of information in the archives, with staff and volunteers ready to answer preliminary research questions submitted in person, over the telephone, or via email at no charge. To pull primary source material or make digital copies, there is a daily flat fee of $35 for non-members and no charge for museum members. You may submit your research question here.
Jean Thomas Ladson
The Ladson Research Library is named for Jean Thomas Ladson (1916-2010), a longtime supporter and benefactor of Sandy Spring Museum. Born in Montgomery County, Jean was a past president of the National Capital Area Federation of Garden Clubs, a member of the Women’s Board of the Montgomery General Hospital, and a member of the Women’s Mutual Improvement Association of Sandy Spring. She was an accomplished floral designer and, even after moving to Florida in 1978, continued to spend part of each year in Olney with her husband of 56 years, Thomas Ladson, until his death in 2004.
- Do you need research assistance?
- Why is there a fee for using the materials in the archives?
- Is there a charge to have scans of photographs made?
- Is there a charge to have copies made or to digitize materials?
- How much does it cost to use the archives?
- How long will it take to get my research question answered?
- Can I come in person instead of contacting you via email?
- Are archival papers or photographs viewable online?
- How can I find out if the archives has information that is relevant to my question?
- What kind of information is in the archives?
- Can I use my camera to take photos of documents or photographs without a fee?