Thomas Marriott (blackunionsoldiers)

(b. circa 1831 – d. 1874)

Regiment Unknown, USCT. Buried Unknown.

Thomas Marriott, a mulatto, was born about 1831 in Maryland. In 1850 Marriott worked as a laborer at the home of Isaac Hartshorne in the Cracklin District. Marriott and his wife Caroline had nine children – George, Anna, Thomas, Jonas, John, Lewis, William, Benjamin, and Caroline. The Marriotts were members of the Sharp Street Church, where Thomas was also a trustee.

In 1854 Marriott purchased a tract of land that was part of the Addition to Charley Forrest from Charles Hill of Baltimore, MD. In 1857 Thomas Marriott and his wife Caroline sold that tract of land, “The Addition to Charley Forrest,” to Mary Hardesty. In 1859 Marriott purchased another tract of land that was a part of nearby Snowden’s Manor Enlarged, from Joseph Todd of Montgomery County.

Marriott worked as a farmer until he was drafted by the Union Army in 1863. When Marriott returned home he became a member of the Eureka Society (a religious organization). Marriott served as a trustee of the Eureka Society along with Remus Q. Hill and Nelson Edwards. In 1873 the Eureka Society sold land to the trustees of the Cedar Mount Cemetery for the sum of $40. On December 15, 1874 the Eureka Society sold an additional piece of their land to Caleb Dorsey.

Upon his death in 1874, Thomas Marriott willed to his wife Caroline all of his property (real and personal). At Caroline’s death Thomas’ property was to be divided equally amongst his children.

Samuel Owens (blackunionsoldiers)

(b. circa 1825 – d. 1866)

Samuel Owens was a free black landowner in the Sandy Spring area of Montgomery County. Owens, a mulatto, was born circa 1825, probably a free born black. Owens appears on the census for the first time in 1840 and is listed in a household with one adult male, one adult female, and one minor child. August 18, 1850 Samuel Owens purchased a part of the tract of land called “Addition to Charley Forrest” from Caleb and Henrietta Bentley. By 1854 Samuel Owens extended his land by purchasing another lot from an unknown source, but received a receipt from someone named E. G. Brown.

Owens was married to Sarah Waters; his wedding was officiated by Thomas McCormick. They lived in Davis Corner with their children Albert, Hannah, Elizabeth, Samuel, Laura, Anna, and Sarah. Samuel and Sarah Ownes, were both trustees of the Sharp Street Church, where they also worshipped. Many of the free blacks in Sandy Spring worshipped at the Sharp Street Church and served as trustees.

In 1863 Samuel Owens was drafted into the Union Army during the Civil War. He was a member of the 2nd Regiment, Company C, Maryland Cavalry, serving for 6 months from August 12, 1863 – February 6, 1864. When he entered service, he ranked in as a private and when he mustered out he ranked as a corporal. Samuel Owens’ health began to fail him and he died in January 1866. In his will he left all of his land to his wife and children to be divided.

Uriah Perry (blackunionsoldiers)

(b. circa 1831 – d. 1864)

On February 23, 1864 Uriah Perry, enslaved on Colesville planter Francis Valednar’s plantation, was enlisted into Company D, 23rd regiment in Washington, DC. Perry was to serve a term of three years and was ranked as a private. He was killed in action 64 miles from Petersburg, VA. on July 30, 1864 and died at the age of 33.

Francis Valdenar claimed 32 slaves in the 1867 Slave Statistics, including Uriah Perry, who was deceased. Other slaves mentioned in the Slave Statistics were the Budd, Jones, Ricks, Jackson, Perry, Bazil and Shorter families.

Thomas Jones (blackunionsoldiers)

(b. ? – d. ?)

During the Civil War some of the enslaved people on Francis Valdenar’s farm near Colesville were drafted into the Union Army. Thomas Jones, one of Valdenar’s enslaved, was drafted into the Union Army in May of 1864, just months before the abolition of slavery in Maryland on November 1, 1864.

In the mid-19th century Francis Valdenar, like all residents in the Sandy Spring area, had an assessment done on his property, including the number of people enslaved. In 1855 Valdenar listed the following male slaves in his assessment: Lewis, John, and Charles (valued at $75 each); Perry, George, Hanson, and William (valued at $250 each); Thomas, Rezin, Uriah, Sam, John, and Daniel (valued at $400 each). The females listed in the 1855 assessment were Infant, Elizabeth, Hannah, and Ann (valued at $50 each); Martha, Sophia, June, Miranda, and Lucinda (valued at $200 each); Charlotte, Cynthia, Eliza, Charlotte, Caroline (valued at $300 each); Harriet, and Maria (valued at $100 each).

By 1859 Valdenar was a Delegate at the Montgomery County slaveholders meeting.

Robert O. Scott (blackunionsoldiers)

(b. circa 1845 – d. 1864)

According to Civil War muster rolls, Robert O. Scott was born in Montgomery County around 1845 and was enslaved by James Riggs. Since James Riggs does not appear in contemporary census records or maps for Montgomery County, it is possible that the slaveholder was actually Brookeville farmer John A. Riggs, who enslaved someone Scott’s age in 1860.

On March 14, 1864 Scott enlisted with the 30th Regiment of the Maryland Volunteer Infantry, appearing in their muster rolls as nineteen years old and six feet tall. Scott was mustered in as a private four days later, while the company stayed at the barracks at Camp Birney in Baltimore. Located on Druid Hill, Camp Birney took its name from General William Birney, who had organized several regiments of the United States Colored Troops. George H. Walcott, another African American soldier mustered into service in March, described his fellow soldiers at Camp Birney as “young, ambitious, of good principles, and good companions.”

Upon enlistment, Scott received the following articles of clothing and insignia, worth $30.04 total: “one Haversack, one Knapsack, one Canteen, one pr [pair] Shoulder Scales Metallic, one cap bugle and letter [and] one pr. of Over Coat straps.” The “bugle and letter” referred to the brass bugle insignia and the brass company letter worn on a Union infantry cap.

Tragically Scott died the following month from “rubeola,” or measles, at the Regimental Hospital in the Belger Barracks. The date of his death varies from April 7, 1864, to April 12, depending on the record. His death most likely occurred on April 7 as marked on his headstone. Scott was buried at Laurel Cemetery, an African American cemetery near Baltimore, Maryland. In 1884 the graves of many of the soldiers buried at the cemetery, including Robert O. Scott’s, were moved to Loudon Park National Cemetery in Baltimore. This cemetery was established in 1862 to bury both the Union and “Rebel” dead, with most of the original interments coming from Baltimore hospitals. His grave lies in section R, plot 84.