- This event has passed.
Virtual Workshop – Make a Flash Story Quilt
February 2 @ 7:00 pm - 8:30 pmDonation
Join master quilt maker and curator of Quilts and the Stories They Tell Lauren Kingsland for a hands-on virtual workshop.
Inspired by the 6 Word Memoir project, participants will capture quick images of personal stories in quilted wall hangings. The method of fusing will be used to appliqué shapes quickly and embroidery will be used emphasize the unique details of the quilt. Participants may choose to include found objects like jewelry or trinkets.
Before the workshop participants are encouraged to select a life anecdote to portray and prepare their ideas by writing several very short word stories about it.
Participants are asked to purchase their supplies in advance.
- 2 fat quarters (18″ x 20”) for the backing and the front foundation fabric.
- 1/2 yard for binding and handing sleeve.
- Assorted smaller pieces of quilting or sentimental fabrics
- 1 yard Wonder Under
- Embroidery floss and/or Perle cotton in black plus colors of your choice
- Quilters Dream batting, Cotton or Green, about 18″ x 20″
- Optional: small trinkets, buttons, jewelry, etc. for embellishment
- Iron, ironing board, and iron cleaner
- Pressing cloth – muslin about 12″x 12″
- Embroidery needles assortment
- Sharp scissors
- Fabric shears
- Pencil and paper
- Straight pins
- Optional: sewing machine for finishing
Lauren Kingsland is celebrated for her colorful quilts filled with richly varied fabrics, symmetrical motifs, and repurposed materials. Her business “Custom Quilts Studio” has created more than a hundred commissions for clients from their collections of treasured garments. She teaches workshops throughout the country for various venues including the Smithsonian Associates and the John C. Campbell Folk School.Reserve Your Spot