Fanciful Picnic Tables
Statement of Purpose
As a gathering place for the community, Sandy Spring Museum is installing a series of picnic groves with between 12 – 18 tables, most of which will be designed by Maryland artists. The picnic groves are one element of a new master plan designed to make the museum grounds better used by the community. For the first series, we are seeking applications from artists who would like to be selected to design a table. Ten applicants will be selected to submit designs and each will receive a $150 honorarium. One or two designs will be selected for fabrication at this time. Tables should seat a minimum of two people; there is no upper limit for seating.
➢ Deadline to Submit Applications: 11:59 pm on June 30, 2021.
Who Can Participate?
Because we celebrate local talent, applicants must reside in Maryland in order to participate. While only ten applicants will be selected to submit a design, anyone within Maryland can apply including amateur and professional artists (or artisans, whether “professional” or amateur), as individuals or as groups.
- For this initial phase of artist selection, using the online application listed below, submit your background qualifications, along with examples of relevant work.
Artist Proposal and Design Criteria
Sandy Spring Museum will be creating three or four picnic groves with 12 – 18 tables for artistic display and practical use. Artists who are selected to submit designs will be asked to include a binding fabrication budget. For this phase of the project, we are requesting that budgets not exceed $5,000.
Applications will be reviewed by the Museum’s Grounds Committee and artists will be selected for the Design phase according to background and experience.
What Steps Are Involved?
- ASK TO BE CONSIDERED: Applicants need to complete and submit an online form to be considered for by 11:59 pm on Wednesday, June 30, 2021. The application can be found here: https://form.jotform.com/211465931272151
- The members of the Museum’s Grounds Committee will review the applicants’ qualifications and ask ten artists to submit table designs and fabrication budgets, not to exceed $5,000. Those selected will be contacted by July 15.
- DEVELOP A CONCEPT: Those applicants who are selected to submit concepts will prepare a rough sketch of their idea and a firm fabrication budget. Final designs are anticipated to be required by August 14, 2021.
- FABRICATE: The Museum intends to award a fabrication contract to one or two artists to fabricate their designs in the amount of the submitted fabrication budget. The selected artists will create, deliver, and install their finished products on the Museum property within six months. The picnic tables will become the property of the Museum.
Some inspirational images….
The Museum is seeking innovative and artistic concepts that intelligently interpret the acts of gathering and dining in an educational and welcoming setting. The installed picnic tables should be of a caliber that attracts visitors and may interpret or celebrate one or more aspects of the multi-faceted cultures that have and/or do thrive in the surrounding area. The following images do not indicate preferences, but are intended to encourage applicants to think beyond standard picnic tables.