By the 1880s a small Black community had emerged at the southern end of the white village of Etchison. Black families built homes on small lots along Damascus Road, about a half-mile from its intersection with the road to Laytonsville. Eventually, the community included Fairview Methodist Episcopal Church, begun in the 1880s, and by 1900 its own schoolhouse. Yet by 1937, the school had closed and by the 1940s, the church had discontinued services. The building was later dismantled. None of the historic structures remain.