Recent decades have almost erased the earlier roles of Ednor and Norwood as busy commercial crossroads having their own post offices. Before his death in 1999, Stanley Stabler recalled these villages as they were more than three quarters of a century ago when he was a boy:
“On Ednor’s southwest corner J. Herbert Cuff ran a yellow frame country store and post office. In front stood the toll booth. Next door Cuff stabled the horse that carried him to Laurel each week for merchandise. South of the stable were a smithy and cider mill, and next door was Cuff’s house, later to be bought by the Barger family. Across present New Hampshire Avenue lived the Patties and Latleifs. The road heading east, then called Cedar Lane, led into Brown country. Generations of the large Brown family farmed the slopes and valley of the Patuxent, and Charles Brown built the bridge that gave his name to the crossing. Secluded in its grove, the old home Clifton slowly aged across the centuries.”
Norwood at the time was known as Holland’s Corner. Where the Red Door Country Store trades today, James Holland opened a store around 1860 and in 1889 became the first postmaster. Nearby was a scales and a smithy run by Lawrence Budd. All around stood fine homes – Snowden Manor of the Quaker Hollands, Llewellyn Fields, Plainfield, Woodlawn, and the home called Norwood.